I have taken liberties in re-creating this recipe from my childhood. I added the option for apple-plum or prune baby food as the plum of my childhood appears to be a bit hard to find. The one change I’m sure my grandmother wouldn’t have made is the addition of Kahlua-Caramel Sauce. If you aren’t so inclined either, substitute an equal amount of vanilla extract for the Kahlua or omit using a sauce all together.
2 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 (4-ounce) jars plum, apple-plum or prune baby food
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in center of mixture and set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil and buttermilk. Beat until smooth. Mix in baby food. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.